What does it mean to lead beyond your role? For some, it’s finding opportunities to teach, mentor and elevate people across teams. For others, leading beyond takes shape as helping to build inclusive communities and finding ways to ensure everyone feels supported.
Genevieve L., Compensation and Benefits Director, credits her manager for inspiring her to join the team and empowering her to excel in her role. “I don’t know if I would be here if it weren’t for my manager,” she explains. “I initially declined my offer because I had just given birth to my second daughter and I didn’t think I could do it, but my manager knew that I was capable and convinced me otherwise. I’m so thankful she did, because now I’m able to help shape a work environment with boundless opportunities for women everywhere.”
Ruqat M., a client solutions manager, highlights inclusivity as a key difference in her experience at Meta. “I moved from Bangladesh to Malaysia, and I didn’t have any family or friends here at first,” she shares. “Feeling a sense of belonging and ownership right from the start made all the difference in my experience. It also inspired me to want to create the same experience for others.” Today, Ruqat is part of several employee resource groups, including Women@ Meta and another group where Muslims connect, share resources and support each other. “As a Muslim woman, it’s been affirming for me to meet people who share my experiences, beliefs and values,” she adds.
Amanda M., People Operations Partner Lead, echoes Ruqat when speaking about the sense of community at Meta. “Inclusion starts with leadership,” she says. “I’ll always remember how, following our Women@ Leadership Day, one of the leaders asked us for direct feedback about what he could be doing differently. This really stood out to me and demonstrated how much diversity, inclusion and a sense of belonging mean here.”
Ruqat, Amanda and Genevieve recently joined Samantha L., a communications manager, to reflect on how they encourage each other to grow, cultivate community and lead beyond their role during a panel discussion on Facebook Live
. From being a new mom and balancing a career to expanding on the skills and lessons they’ve learned, here are a few highlights from the Live:
1. How does having a strong sense of community at work inspire you to ‘lead beyond’ your role and do your best work?
2. How can leaders be better allies at work and outside of work?
3. What is the Women@ Meta resource group? How can someone get involved?
4. How do you find a balance between your professional opportunities and motherhood?
5. What kind of support, programs and benefits did Meta offer parents during the pandemic?
6. How does Meta support women that may have other responsibilities outside of being a parent?
7. What resources are available for women who want to grow into a leadership role at Meta?
8. What challenges have you faced in your career, and how have those inspired or impacted you to lead beyond your role?