At Reality Labs, our goal is to invent the user interface technologies that will drive the next generation of augmented-reality experiences. Our aim is to unleash human potential by erasing the bottlenecks between intent and action. As a Research Intern, you will focus on developing novel interactions and interfaces for augmented reality glasses and wearable devices.
We are looking for PhD candidates to work alongside experts researchers, designers, and software engineers. We are open to candidates from a broad scope of relevant backgrounds such as:
- Human-computer interaction
- Computer science
- Software engineering & related engineering fields
- Psychology, cognitive science, neuroscience
- Game development
- Ergonomics & kinesiology
- Statistics & machine learning
More specifically, we are looking for candidates with background in one or more of the following areas:
- Human-computer interaction (i.e. Input and interaction techniques, Multi-modal input, Adaptive user interfaces & personalization, Mixed-initiative interfaces, Collaborative interactions and multi-user systems, Gesture input and gesture learning)
- Haptics(i.e. Experience design, feedback and guidance, Perception, Haptic hardware prototyping, Wearable haptics)
- Visual interfaces in AR/VR(i.e. 3D user interaction & hybrid interfaces, Immersion, presence & agency, Locomotion & navigation, 360 environments & videos)
- Software engineering (i.e. Software architecture and design patterns, Application frameworks, Desktop, mobile and web platform development, Game development)
- Accessibility in AR/VR(i.e. Assistive pointing techniques and technology, Assistive technologies such as screen readers, mobility aids, or braille interfaces, Fitness technology and/or exergaming, Game Balancing)
- Sensors and hardware (i.e. Prototyping, Wearables, Eye tracking, Graphics and audio)
- User-centered machine learning (i.e. Predictive modeling, Intent modeling, Computational interaction, Computer vision)
Our internships are sixteen (16) to twenty-four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year. This position is based in Redmond, WA.
Research Scientist Intern, Human-Computer Interaction (PhD) Responsibilities
Plan and execute cutting-edge research to advance human-computer interaction research.
Collaborate with dynamic teams of engineers, designers and researchers.
Organize and lead research activities such as designing and building prototypes, experimental design as well as data collection and analysis.
Write and publish high quality scientific articles.
Communicate research activities and findings to collaborators across a variety of disciplines.
Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD.
3+ years of experience with programming languages such as Python, R, C++, C#, Matlab.
1+ years of experience in experimental design of user studies and statistical analysis to interpret results.
Interpersonal skills: cross-group collaboration and cross-culture collaboration.
Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
Familiarity with the HCI field.
Familiarity with AR/VR technologies and literature.
Familiarity with Unity game engine.
Proven track record of achieving research results and innovation as demonstrated by minimum 2 patents or first-authored peer-reviewed publications in relevant venues such as ACM CHI, ACM UIST, ACM IMWUT, IEEE ISMAR or IEEE VR.
Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op.
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible today—beyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to email@example.com
$7,500/month to $10,250/month + benefits